Programming Forums
User Name Password Register

RSS Feed
FORUM INDEX | TODAY'S POSTS | UNANSWERED THREADS | ADVANCED SEARCH

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Elidor
Learner

Where to start (resources)

Hello I would like to learn assembly programming. I've considered taking up the book the art of assembly language that uses HLA but I've also heard strong resistance against the book because it doesn't teach MASM amongst other assembly types.

My ultimate goal is to learn to use a debugger efficiently for c++ as well as learn to reverse engineer. Both seem to require a good degree of assembly but I'm at a loss at where to start. I'm thinking MASM would be a good place but have no idea what would be the best way to go about learning it. As for learning to debug I would like to learn the gdb and/or ollydbg debuggers but am also lost on how to start learning those.

Any advice?
Elidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 1:46 PM   #2
sixstringartist
Programming Guru

Re: Where to start (resources)

I would recommend reading some basic primers/tutorials on Intel x86 ASM and then jumping into Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering. Your admitted goal is not to program in ASM rather to gain knowledge in debugging and reverse engineering. It doesnt take long to understand basic assembly level concepts, and once you do, its much more helpful to gain the big picture understanding of what the compiler is doing rather than the simple exercises a book teaching asm will go through.

Intel Architectures Software Developer Manuals will be your bread and butter reference for understanding x86. Specifically Volumes 2A and 2B which are the instruction set reference A-Z.
sixstringartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 7:52 PM   #3
Elidor
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringartist View Post
I would recommend reading some basic primers/tutorials on Intel x86 ASM and then jumping into Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering. Your admitted goal is not to program in ASM rather to gain knowledge in debugging and reverse engineering. It doesnt take long to understand basic assembly level concepts, and once you do, its much more helpful to gain the big picture understanding of what the compiler is doing rather than the simple exercises a book teaching asm will go through.

Intel Architectures Software Developer Manuals will be your bread and butter reference for understanding x86. Specifically Volumes 2A and 2B which are the instruction set reference A-Z.
Thank you, I was thinking of diving into that book but wasn't to sure if it was to outdated. Do you have any recommendations on good sources I should looking into for Intel x86 ASM.
Elidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 7:14 PM   #4
Panoramix360

Thanks sixstringartista for these books!

I'm very interested in assembly language too.
Panoramix360 is offline   Reply With Quote